Get into Teaching
How to get into Teaching with NESTA…
For a September 2017 start NESTA will be offering School Direct ITT places to teach in the Primary age range (KS1&2) and Secondary age range (KS3&4 with some KS5) in English; Maths; Physics; Chemistry; Geography; History; Modern Foreign Languages (French / German); Computer Science & Design Technology.
NESTA works in partnership with Northumbria University & successful trainees qualify with QTS and a PGCE (including 60 credits at Masters level). Trainees collect evidence to show that they have met the Teachers’ Standards and undertake 3 assignments through the year.
Training is 4 days a week in the classroom (Monday – Thursday) with Friday being a training day in NESTA or at Northumbria University. As a small provider, NESTA is able to provide bespoke training to meet individual needs with all trainees being supported by experienced mentors.
Qualifications Required (by the start of the programme – September 2017)
- GCSE English (For Primary & Secondary trainees or equivalent)
- GCSE Maths (for Primary & Secondary trainees or equivalent)
- GCSE Science (for Primary trainees only or equivalent)
- Degree qualification (or equivalent).
- Preferably minimum of a 2:1 in a related subject.
- Subject Knowledge Enhancement – SKE – programmes are available if degree is not in subject trainee wishes to teach)
- Literacy & Numeracy Skills Tests – (visit http://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/how…/passing-the-skills-tests)
- Some experience in the classroom – preferably at least 10 days working in the age range you wish to teach. (NESTA can help organise this).
- Acceptable DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service)
The Next Steps…
|1.||Visit NESTA – Contact Nicki Smith to arrange a chat to see if NESTA is the right provider for you.|
|2.||Apply via UCAS – from mid-October 2016|
|3.||Find NESTA on UCAS website|
|4.||Complete Your Application|
|5.||NESTA shortlist applicants|
|6.||Attend Interview – which will include: introduction, time in a classroom supporting students, discussion of a pre-planned lesson/resources with interview panel, interview questions.|
|7.||Offers made – Conditional on meeting criteria|
|9.||Northumbria University Induction Day – early July 2017|
|10.||NESTA Induction Day – Late August 2017|
|11.||Course Commences – Start of September 2017|
|12.||Course Concludes – June 2018. Successful trainees qualify with QTS & PGCE|
|13.||Northumbria Graduation / NESTA Celebration Event – July 2018|
|14.||Start Job as NQT on a starting salary of £22k – September 2018|